Winemaking Experiences in McLaren Vale
Let us take you on a behind the scenes journey to show you what life in McLaren Vale is like for winemakers. These experiences offer unique insight into what makes this region so special, and will gift you memories for life. We have put together a list of 10 behind the scenes experiences in the McLaren Vale below.
1. Mark your diaries for Harvest 22 at Chalk Hill. On Saturday 5th of March, Chalk Hill Wines is welcoming the public to a day of grape picking, grape stomping and grape drinking. Make sure to bring spare clothes as it might get messy!
2. Hardy’s Tintara’s Tasting in the Dark experience is like no other. This is an interactive, sensorial tasting experience where you will be tasting wine in the dark. Engage your senses and experience a tour of Hardy’s Tintara's private cellar.
3. d'Arenberg's Blending Bench is a fun, hands on experience where you get to blend and bottle your own wine. Take home a bottle of your own creation!
4. Visit Oliver’s Taranga for a Terroir Private Vineyard Experience where you can learn about the winemaking process, heritage sites, and sustainable viticulture.
5. Traverse the Maxwell Wine’s vineyards by electric buggy during a Vineyard Sustainability Tour & Tasting experience, one of the many tours they offer.
6. Play Winemaker for a Day with Shottesbrooke and learn the process behind creating exceptional wines, followed by an exclusive tasting of raw, unfiltered and unrefined wines, and finish off with a degustation lunch.
7. Join Woodstock’s winemaker Peter Collett for a private, behind the scenes tour amongst the vineyards in their Woodstock Winemaker’s Tour, taste award-winning wines while soaking in the panoramic views.
8. Embark on a journey to Wirra Wirra Wines and explore the 125-year-old winery inside out with the many behind-the-scenes tours. Immerse yourself in the original ironstone cellars and learn the stories behind the wines and barrels.
9. Book a Back of the Ute tour with Aphelion Wines and not only will you have the opportunity to ask winemaker Rob Mack all the burning questions you may have about winemaking, but you can also soak in the stunning vineyards with a glass in hand and the breeze on your face.
10. Hither & Yon’s Escape, Sip & Indulge tour starts with a private tasting hosted by winemaker Malcolm and accompanying cheese platter at the vineyard. Then you get the chance to hop on one of the bikes provided to explore the Shiraz Trail at your leisure.
For more unique experiences in the region please, click here.
Photograph (C) d'Arenberg