Willunga Almond Blossom Festival Cake Recipe
Recipe by Kendall Hogg
- 250g whole almonds - lightly roasted
- Zest of 7 medium lemons
- Juice 3 lemons
- 65g plain flour
- 225g unsalted butter - room temperature
- 6 eggs separated - room temperature
- 300g ricotta cheese - fresh & firm
- 250g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced
- Line a 10-inch(25cm) loose bottom cake tin with baking paper.
- Combine ricotta cheese and lemon juice and mix well.
- Coarsely chop the roasted almonds in a food processor and combine with plain flour and lemon zest.
- Using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and then add egg yolks one at a time, making sure each yolk is well combined before adding the next.
- Once all the yolks are combined fold in the flour, almond and lemon zest mixture, followed by the ricotta and lemon juice.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold through the cake batter.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden in colour and firm.
- Serve dredged with icing sugar and pouring cream.
Peter Hogg, Chef at The Salopian Inn, has passed on his wife's recipe for you all to enjoy. We are told it keeps brilliantly! This cake would be perfect with the Trophy winning Rose from the 2021 McLaren Vale Wine Show - Cru 2021 McLaren Vale Rose.