23, December 2020
Tom Tilbury's calamari, potato, lardo, parsley
Chef Tom Tilbury from Gather at Coriole has provided this month's delicious summertime recipe - calamari, potato, lardo, parsley.
- 100 grams of calamari, cleaned
- 100 grams of lardo if you can’t buy lardo replace with pancetta, fattier the better.
- 2 dutch cream potatoes
- 250 gr parsley leaves
- 100 ml grape seed oil
- 500gr peeled Desiree potato
- 500gr peeled celeriac
- 5 ice cubes
- vegetable Oil for frying enough to deep fry
- 1/2 a lemon
- Young flat leaf Parsley or parsley flowers to garnish, 8 leaves or flowers
- Cut squid, lardo and Dutch cream potatoes into equal size, 4cm long by .5cm x .5cm
- For the potato crumb blend the celeriac and Desiree potato together until they look like bread crumbs, place in a Fine mesh sieve and rinse until water is clear, place potato mix in a clean tea towels for wring out water until as dry as possible.
- Heat oil to 150 in a large deep pot (deeper the better), and rain in potato mix, do a little at a time as the potato will make the oil bubble up allot, fry potato until golden and resembling sand.
- You may need to lightly agitate potato with a whisk to stop it sticking.
- Once golden use a metal sieve to scoop out potato and place on a clean tea towel or paper towel remove as much excess oil as possible.
- bring 5 lt of water to the boil with enough salt in it to taste like sea water and the bay leaves,
- Blanch the Dutch cream potato sticks until al dente. And remove from the water along with the bay leaves
- In the same water as the Potato Blanch the parsley for 5 seconds and drain off,
- Working as quick as possible squeeze excess water out of parsley, add parsley to a blender or thermomix, blend on full speed for 2 minutes, whilst adding the ice cubes one at a time, slowly pour in the grape seed oil. After 2 minutes scrape down the sides of blender and blend for 1 more minute. This will make more then you need.
- Add the lardo to a sauce pan over a low heat and cook until the fat melts out, increase the heat to medium,
- Add calamari and cook through, take off of the heat and add potato to warm through.
- In a serving bowl add 2 table spoons of parsley, add calamari mix on top of the parsley and rain over the potato crumb, garnish with young parsley leaves or parsley flowers, squeeze with lemon before serving.
Photo credit: Mitch Payne