McLaren Vale is a region where the rolling hills meet some of the most spectacular beaches in Australia, including 32 km of breathtaking coastline. The region is also home to sustainable winegrowing, world-class wines and culinary experiences, and unparalleled tourism offerings including some of Australia’s best cellar doors.
The team of judges at Gourmet Traveller WINE spent months scouring the landscape to find the absolute pinnacle of our wine region for the Gourmet Traveller WINE's Australia's Best Cellar Door Awards 2022.
- Star Cellar Door: Sherrah Wines, Bondar Wines and Lino Ramble. These three producers have created a cellar door experience that is really quite unique. Located on McMurtrie Road, a renovated 19th century stone cottage is home to the cellar door for all three producers. Each wine label has a separate room for their brand, with a different aesthetic for each and where each tasting experience is distinctly different.
- Best Large Cellar Door: Oliver’s Taranga. The Oliver’s Taranga heritage listed 1850’s worker’s cottage has recently had an extensive facelift. The stunning new cellar door revamp, offers visitors a gorgeous new space that compliments the heritage of the original building with an updated, modern look. The family has also introduced ‘Ollie’ the 6-seater golf cart to the team, taking guests on a ‘Taranga Terroir’ tour and tasting through the vineyard.
- Best Small Cellar Door: Berg Herring. The Berg Herring boutique cellar door is located within a converted heritage sandstone chapel (built in 1862), situated in Sellicks Beach. Located between the Victory Hotel and the picturesque coast of Sellicks Beach, Berg Herring is just a stone’s throw away from both. Visitors can enjoy a tasting in the chapel cellar door, then stay for a wine on the lush lawn area while taking in the stunning views of the hills and ocean. Berg Herring also host visitors in their two converted wine barrel tasting pods!
- Cellar Door with Best Food: Mitolo Wines. The elegant, epicurean pavilion that is home to Mitolo Wines’ cellar door and restaurant offers visitors an immersive experience in the heart of the region. The cellar door offers a comprehensive wine tasting experience, set in a sophisticated and friendly atmosphere. With onsite restaurant ‘Little Wolf’ the focus is on house made, house grown and locally sourced produce that delivers striking modern flavour.
- Best Tasting Experience: Gemtree Wines. Gemtree's organic and biodynamic credentials have roots as deep as their decades-old vines. The Gemtree tasting room has been purpose built to have minimal impact on the environment and is sustainably run. The guided tasting experiences allow visitors to take in unparalleled views of the Gemtree vineyards and beyond to the sea. There is also the opportunity to learn about biodynamic grape growing and wine making during a relaxing guided tour of Gemtree’s Biodynamic Hut.
What are you waiting for, now is a great time to visit these awards winning cellar doors. For more cellar door inspiration in McLaren Vale, please click here.