With school holidays and Easter around the corner, a trip to beautiful McLaren Vale guarantees experiences no one will forget. The weather is idyllic this time of year and the buzz and action of vintage makes it a remarkable time to visit. McLaren Vale is home to unparalleled tourism attractions and was recently named a finalist in Wotif.com’s 2021 Aussie Town of the Year Awards.
With more than eighty cellar doors in the region, award-winning restaurants, family fun and amazing beaches, you are spoilt for choice. Whether you want to relax and escape the rush of everyday life or enjoy an adventure filled experience, some inspirational ideas for your visit are listed below:
- Throughout autumn the region sees the most striking sunsets. Soak up the views and enjoy a glass on the deck at The Star of Greece or The Victory Hotel – two of the best spots to watch the sun set over the water. Seating is also available inside if the weather is a little cooler.
- Take a walk through the Willunga Farmers Markets. This bustling market has an abundance of fresh, delicious food and produce for the community and visitors alike. Amazing hot cross buns will be available from Soul Food & Co, Matchett Productions, and Flour Power Bread in the lead up to Easter. The Willunga Farmers Market is on every Saturday from 8am until midday.
- Treat yourself to a truly local experience at Russell’s Pizza. Russell's has been serving wood oven pizza's since 1992, using wholesome ingredients in a simple and informal style. Russell's is a great place for families and friends to enjoy a relaxed meal in a casual dining setting.
- Walking, or hiking through the beautiful scenery of McLaren Vale is a great way to experience the stunning natural environment, abundant wildlife and sparkling waterways of the region. There are a number of bushwalks in and around our local national parks, from gentle meandering trails to more adventurous hikes with breathtaking views of the Onkaparinga Gorge. To discover some of the trails in the region please, click here.
Easter means chocolate and you’ll find plenty to tempt you in McLaren Vale! If you like to indulge in all things chocolate, here are some tantalising suggestions for you:
- Visit the Bracegirdle's store located in the main street of McLaren Vale for a delightful combination of hand-crafted Belgian chocolate, coffee, and wine.
- Visit the Wirra Wirra Cellar Door and enjoy one of their tasting experiences such as the Shiraz Revolution where you can taste five of their best Shiraz wines matched with a tantalising selection of chocolates by chef, Tom Boden.
- Call into the award-winning Goodieson Brewery and sample their bespoke chocolate stout beer.
Photography (C) McLaren Vale Grape Wine & Tourism Association