Pizzateca's Tiramisu Recipe
Tony Mitolo serves his grandma’s Italian dessert in his Pizzateca restaurant each week. Here, he and his aunt share her treasured recipe, which includes just seven ingredients.
Nonna Mitolo’s traditional tiramisu
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
300ml espresso coffee, brewed
- 2 tbsp Marsala wine
- 4 eggs
- 100g sugar
- 500g mascarpone
- 300g ladyfinger (savoiardi) biscuits
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Brew coffee using a macchinetta. In a saucepan or other heatproof container, combine coffee and Marsala wine then set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, separate egg whites from yolks and whip egg whites until stiff. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and smooth. This should take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add mascarpone to the yolks and whisk slowly with an electric mixer. Add the stiffened egg whites and mix through with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Dip ladyfingers into the coffee and wine. Spread a layer of the biscuits in a serving dish and spread a layer of mascarpone mixture on top. Sprinkle with cocoa powder. Repeat layers once more.
- Sprinkle the top with cocoa powder. Chill for 2 hours before serving.