Lamb Shepherd's Pie
Victoria Maxwell from The General Wine Bar and Kitchen has shared the recipe for her favourite winter warmer dish, a Lamb Shepherd’s Pie. Pair it with a Zonte’s Footstep Hills Are Alive Shiraz and you have the perfect ingredients for a cozy night in.
Lamb Shepherd’s Pie (serves 6-8)
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 50g butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 lemon
- 1 x Oxo chicken stock cube
- 200g of button or chestnut mushrooms
- 800g Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 x cup of zontes hills are alive shiraz
- 200ml Cream
- 50g cheese
- Pour a glass of Zonte’s Footstep Hills Are Alive Shiraz (sip whilst cooking!)
- Heat butter in pan and add diced carrots and onions until browned and softened, then grate lemon zest over the top. Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mix and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the lamb mince and brown, add bay leaves, thyme, and crumbled chicken stock cube.
- Pour in cup of red wine until all is covered and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for around an hour with a lid on slightly askew. Stir occasionally. When this is done cooking add the mushrooms and cream, season to taste then bring back to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put pan of boiling water on and add salt. Add peeled and chopped potatoes. When cooked drain and add seasoning, butter and cream and mash to a smooth consistency.
- Spread potato mash over the mince and make rustic with a fork. Top with cheese and bake in 180 degree pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
This dish appears on The General Wine Bar and Kitchen's Winter Warmer menu and is available the third week of every month.