It's Show Time!
October sees the staging of the annual McLaren Vale Wine Show, one of the largest regional wine shows in Australia. Coordinated by a team of dedicated volunteers, this year’s wine show has received 797 entries, which will be judged by 15 judges, led by esteemed wine writer and reviewer, Tony Love. The judging takes place across 4 days and incorporates the James Halliday Grenache Challenge.
Here are some fun facts about the McLaren Vale Wine Show:
- Volunteers will unpack and set out a total of 3480 bottles of wine and wash 984 glasses at least 10 times over.
- There are 30 trophies that can be awarded including the coveted Bushing Trophy for Best Wine in Show.
- Wines are scored out of 100.
- Grenache has only won the Bushing Trophy twice in 48 years.
- The most popular coffee style enjoyed by judges is the Piccolo.
- Judges snack on olives, water crackers and cheddar cheese during judging to help neutralise their palates.
The winners of the McLaren Vale Wine Show will be announced at a black-tie dinner at Beresford Estate on Thursday 28 October, with results available on the McLaren Vale website and the McLaren Vale social channels.
The winner of the James Halliday Grenache Challenge will be announced on Friday 5 November, 2021.