Angove Family Winemakers Aged Muscatel and Brandy Ice Cream
With the festive season fast approaching, Angove Family Winemakers' Chef, Georgie Rogers, has created a Christmas dessert that's simple, sweet, and sure to impress. She draws inspiration from the classic Christmas Pudding and incorporates the Angove Family's iconic St Agnes Brandy.
- 100g Seedless Muscatel Raisins
- 200ml St Agnes VSOP 5-Year-Old Brandy
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 185g Caster Sugar
- 675g Cream
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- First, soak raisins in St Agnes VSOP 5Y Brandy for 2–3 hours.
- Drain the raisins and reduce the remaining brandy to about 30mls. Then set aside to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and double in size.
- Place bowl over a simmering saucepan of water and whisk continuously until mixture reaches 84°C or a custard-like consistency. Then add the cooled brandy reduction.
- Pour brandy custard into a clean bowl placed over a bowl of ice and whisk to cool.
- When the mixture reaches 15°C, cover and transfer to the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the mixture from the fridge and whisk with electric beaters for a few seconds.
- Then pour the mixture into a pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn.
- When almost done, stir through soaked brandy raisins. Transfer to a container and freeze until ready to serve. This is firm ice cream, so you may need to remove it from the freezer a little before serving, depending on your freezer temperature.